Friday, April 16, 2010

THINGS VS. EXPERIENCES

Kent has a wonderful attitude that things are not that important. Our washing machine lasted for 35 years. I bought a beautiful new one but it doesn’t match the dryer. The dryer is only 18 years old so it will never match the washer. Our 11 year old microwave handle broke. I found some RHINO glue on the internet and Kent fixed the handle. You would never know it was broken. And so it goes around here.


Our home is lovely, just out of date. Our dinning room set was given to us when we were a young family. It was old then. Now it’s even older. Our furniture is very old too but not at all worn out. The kitchen table was my grandmothers. I remember using it when I went to visit almost 60 years ago. (She used it longer than that but I don’t have a memory that is longer.)

We have come to recognize that buying new granite counter tops would mean we couldn’t go on a vacation. We could buy a new car or go on a trip with friends. New dryer would mean I couldn’t visit the grandchildren in Pasadena. Buying all the things my heart desires would keep us working instead of moving on the next phase of our lives.

Some how I don’t think we would be as happy talking about a new dryer as we are when we talk about a trip. In my world Experiences always wins out.

No comments:

Post a Comment