Tuesday, May 11, 2010

MOTHER'S DAY

The tree in front of our house was the home to a family of robins. Sunday we came home from church to find that some thing had taken all the babies out of the nest. It’s now empty. We were heart broken. I realize that many babies in the wild do not survive but we had hoped to watch them take flight. I had been watching another nest and saw a baby bird fledge. It was so exciting to watch the mother encouraging it to come out of the nest. First he flapped his wings and then took off. After a couple of seconds he came back to the nest. Finally he left and was gone. Both nests were empty. One brought me sorrow and one brought me joy. Mothers feel both when their children leave home. We want to know we have raised independent children but hate our children not needing us. This mother’s day was a day of joy for me. I loved talking to and being with my children and grandchildren. I’m glad they are independent and living the lives they want. I can’t think of a better gift than that for mother’s day.

No comments:

Post a Comment