Tuesday, January 18, 2011

MY EDUCATION or was it MY VACATION

I have always been fascinated by birds and as a child wanted to travel to the mid-west to see the red-winged blackbird. That would never happen! My father would tell me to stop acting uppity by thinking I would ever travel or be educated. Now educated and living in the Midwest I am excited every time I see the red and yellow epaulettes against the black feathers of the red-winged blackbird. They are a constant reminder to me that I don’t have to limit myself.

This vacation I again saw things I never thought I would see. Before my eyes was a toucan in the wild. The black bird with a bright yellow beak was almost hidden in the rain forest of Costa Rica. Oblivious to the excitement of my group they just wanted to stay out of the mid-day heat.

Being told once that I enjoy planning for a vacation more than I enjoy my vacation makes me think that statement is as limiting as my fathers. Planning for a vacation is part of the education. I don’t think we ever truly enjoy travel unless we are educated about our experience. Studying and then experiencing is the best way to learn. So as I return to the routine of my life I can truly ponder the wonderful education I have just experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment