Tuesday, August 21, 2012

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED

I heard someone say, “There’s no pride in being what you are but in what you do with it.” I have thought a lot about this statement. As a school child I was intimidated by those who were so very intelligent. As a mother I was in awe with those who were knowledgeable in every situation. At church there were brilliant scriptoriums. And so the list goes on. I saw only my limits.
Today, as a 60+ year-old I realize that I have great intelligence but I have dyslexia. I haven’t allowed my handicap keep me from graduating with a master’s degree and having a successful counseling practice. By taking classes and workshops I became the mother I wanted to be. I have read the scriptures daily and studied inspired writings for decades. I now know more than I ever thought possible.
There are things I wish I had learned or tried doing but for the most part I am happy with what I have accomplished with my life. If I have learned anything about living this life is it is by small but consistent effort that great changes have come into my life. I also believe what I read by Hugh B. Brown, “You can do anything you want. You just can’t do everything you want.”

1 comment: