Saturday, August 7, 2010

NO HOARDING HERE


Today is the annual garage sale in our neighborhood. Driving on my street can be hazardous. You could be hit by a driver looking at houses instead of the road or you might hit someone running from one house to the other trying to lug their newly prized chattels. I remember seeing my first garage sale in the late 1960s. Before that people used newspaper ads to market their goods. Since then we have new ways to sell our possessions. We can use Craig’s List, EBay, or any number of internet options.

I’m an advocate for selling unwanted possessions. A few years ago I sold enough to pay for an Alaskan vacation. During the selling process I had to endure my families teasing. One morning when Kent couldn’t find his belt he asked me if I had sold it on EBay.

Although I continue to weed out what I don’t use I am no longer selling these items. I don't have enough to pay for a vacation. I have been feeling that I should help others by my giving so I have been giving items to charties. The problem is I have found that not all charities use most of the money for what they advertise. I find myself feeling angry when a report comes out telling about one of these charities and for a while I don’t want to give to any charity. Then I realize that there are so many charities that are good. I just need to be more careful when I donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment