Wednesday, April 28, 2010

ABOUT FAMILY

When my children were small I went with them to buy them a parakeet. Nathan’s bird was a green parakeet and Andrea’s bird was yellow. During my childhood my mother and aunt always had a small bird in their homes. They said this reminded them of their father who had died in a coal mining accident when they were small.

Coal miners always had canaries in the mines. They enjoyed the song of the bird. Also, the birds were so sensitive to the quality of the air that if there was any gas in the mine the bird died quickly. This gave the miners the warning they needed in order to escape before there was an explosion.

I don’t know how my grandfather died but I do know it was in a coal mine accident. My grandmother never talked about him. When I was a teenager my grandpa Rich told me I needed to know about the sacrifice Grandpa Arno made when he died in the mines. My grandpa Rich also took me to the Schofield mine and showed me a plaque where the worst coal mine accident in the history of the United Stakes occurred. I didn’t understand the significance at that time. It has been many years for me to understand what it meant to a coal mining community to have a miner die in the mines.

No comments:

Post a Comment