Thursday, July 29, 2010

BUT WAIT!

You can’t watch television today with out seeing an advertisement to purchase something you have never owned but somehow are now tempted to buy because you feel it is a must own item. The best part is the advertiser always says “But Wait! If you buy it within the next 20 minutes we will double your order at no extra cost.” And so begins my life as a hoarder. Now I have never been accused of being a hoarder. I don’t have anything in my attic that can be discovered at the Antiques Roadshow. I don’t even have enough to have a proper garage sale. I have my children’s pictures and mementos in drawers in the bottom of my bookcase. That’s about all that I have saved in 6 decades.


But I have to admit that some of those items look very inviting. And with the special deal I will never run out. Since I’m not a hoarder I have lots of space to put these wonderful bargains. I can start filling up cabinets, drawers, closets and the space under my bed. I’m not sure how the conversation with my next of kin will go. I’m sure there will be a few thoughts expressed such as: “I thought you were downsizing.” “How are you going to pay for your next trip if you keep spending like this?” “You didn’t really fall for that advertising?” “I thought you smarter than that.”

Well, I guess I will have to put off purchasing the most wonderful deal of the year. Maybe, I will just go out and purchase Iraqi dollars. It’s not really speculation. They really will be worth a lot in a few years and then I can really justify my need for all those items.

No comments:

Post a Comment