Saturday, May 28, 2011

GOALS

It’s important to think through what your goals are. When we moved to our current home our yard was a blank slate. The builders had cleared the entire area to build. Many builders followed suit and soon for miles around all you could see was new construction and dirt. I watched the displaced wildlife looking for new homes. It was heart wrenching to think that my new home had ousted so many animals. From that time forward my goal became have a yard that encouraged wildlife.


Now, 13 years, 10 trees, numerous bushes, birdfeeders, flowering and non-flowering plants later I have that very yard. Is there a down side? Yes! I only have one Hosta left in my shade garden, one very sad looking rose bush and numerous other plans are suffering. The rabbits have taken over and are eating every tender spout this year. I had to take down the bird feeders because I found I was allergic to the bird droppings. I do miss the birds but I enjoy breathing more.


We have talked about getting an owl box. An owl would certainly take care of the rabbit population but we think the families with small dogs might not be too happy about our Mr. McGreger approach. I guess the neighbors who are putting in plants that discourage wildlife and rocks instead of mulch have the solution. So if I have a goal of getting rid of the cottontails what new problems will I create?

No comments:

Post a Comment