Thursday, May 26, 2011

MONDAY'S HOLIDAY

As we approach the Memorial Day Weekend I have a few thoughts about how I remember our fallen Soldiers.
 
A number of years we were in Washington D. C. I attended a marriage conference and Kent enjoyed himself by visiting Civil War sites. Early Sunday Morning July 4 we decided we would drive around the capital. Previously I had visited the Vietnam Memorial but Kent didn’t feel that he wanted to be there. This time Kent was prepared to go to the Vietnam Memorial. He had brought with him some of his own memories of Vietnam.

As we approached the memorial the feeling of sacredness that I had felt so many years earlier returned. We both cried emotional tears. There were no words to describe the feelings we were having. I was so grateful that I was there with Kent at that moment. As I looked to the top of the monument I thought my spiritual eyes could see soldiers standing guard over the monument. I don’t know if they were there but it seemed very real to me. Kent found the name of a friend and left his pictures and dog tags at the base as so many other vets had done before him.

Alone in the early morning mist we were lost in thought and emotion when we saw an family approach. They were laughing and enjoying their day. I remember feeling “please don’t ruin this sacred moment for us.” As they entered the path in front of the monument they must have felt the sacredness because they became very reverent. They passed us respectfully allowing us this time to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment