Friday, May 20, 2011

A REALLY GOOD THING ABOUT CALIFORNIA

The world viewed from the Midwest perspective is rather homogenous. If I look at an even smaller perspective, that of O’Fallon, Missouri I find it is Caucasian with a smattering of color. All the people I see on a daily basis are very much like I am. We have similar conservative views, ethnic backgrounds, religious orientations, love of the Cardinals and we drive and live in a traditional middle class world. I didn’t choose to live in this world. It just happened. We used to live in North County. But after 20 some years North County stopped being a wonderfully diversified place to live. It is now the drug world of the Midwest. People come from all over to buy drugs. According to KMOV you can find a drug dealer on every corner. We left for that very reason.


After 12 years of living in a homogenous world it is easy to forget what its like to live in a world of diversity. It is easy to become complacent and enjoy not having to be different. As I become more complacent I find myself not worry about speaking to strangers or trying to make those who are different feel welcome. I make no effort to communicate with those who don’t speak my language.

As we traveled to Pasadena we were once again reintroduced to the world of diversity. We found ourselves in the minority. There were many ethnic backgrounds as well as political and religious ideologies. We were not only dealing with accents but languages as well. Nothing was familiar but then it was all comfortable. Throughout the trip we talked about how wonderful it felt to be in such a diverse place.

As we sat at LAX waiting to board our plane to take us home we sat with people waiting to board a plane for the orient. I found myself thinking how wonderful it was to be able to enjoy conversation with those traveling back home after a trip to our country. I am tired of being a conformist. I want to be part of a more diversified world. I’m not sure how to accomplish this but this I do know, beginning today I will make the effort to speak first when I meet anyone who doesn’t fit into my homogenous world.

No comments:

Post a Comment