Saturday, September 26, 2009

SACRIFICE AND SERVICE

In some cultures those who are my age have taken a life of sacrifice. They say they are ready to leave their worldly life and enter a life of service to their fellow man. Unfortunately, in the western culture age is viewed as synonymous with senility. Those who have aged are no longer useful nor do they have much to contribute.

I have decided though the society I live in might look at me as past being useful, this new time in my life will be one of sacrifice and service. What sacrifices am I willing to make and are they selfless or selfish sacrifices?

To be selfless my service needs to have no thought of reward, either here or in the eternities. The Prophet of my youth, David O. McKay said that the principal reason the Church was organized was "to make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today..."

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf said "Wherever you have been planted on this beautiful but often troubled earth of ours, you [I] can be the one to 'succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees' (D&C 81:5)."

True service should help me become more Christ like. What greater blessing could I have than to be a partner with the Savior in doing good.

No comments:

Post a Comment