Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I HATE JELL-O


Jell-O is something that you either love or hate. Being raised in the 50’s and 60’s it was a staple in most people’s diet. You could make it into a lovely dessert or a sweet, savory or sweet and savory salad. People mixed fruit, cool whip, and soda pop in it. When you wanted a healthier version you might grate carrots, slice olives, add ketchup, mayonnaise, cottage cheese or any other distasteful thing you can think of and call it a salad. ( I have recipes to prove this!)
My children didn’t have Jell-O served in our home. The simple reason was I hate Jell-O. Unfortunately Jell-O has made a comeback in the American diet. Because of Pinetrest I actually decided to try to make it for my family. We were having a family dinner and I decided to make it a rainbow dinner, hence the need for Jell-O. I made Jell-O in orange halves.

Review: the Jell-O was a hit with everyone. The plate was colorful and fun for the grandchildren to pick up and eat. All the adults had fun with the Jell-O wedges also.
The negative side is the time it took to make and the terrible mess. Cleaning out the orange took a couple of hours. My refrigerator was tied up for most of the day since the oranges needed to sit undisturbed.

Cost was also a factor. It required 12 beautiful oranges and 6 boxes of Jell-O. After you cut the oranges in half and cleaned out the inside there wasn’t a lot you can do with the best part of the orange. The last negative was my granddaughter, who was just learning to feed herself loved the Jell-O but unfortunately took a bite of the rind and she will probably be a Jell-O hater like her grandmother from now on.

1 comment:

  1. you should've sent the orange discards to the other Munson home. I would've blended the heck out of them! :)

    ReplyDelete