Saturday, April 28, 2012

SOUR DOUGH BREAD



Sour dough is an old fashioned idea updated. This past year I had a friend bring a start for friendship bread which is a sweet form of sour dough bread. I also have recipes for sour dough biscuits, cookies and chocolate cake. I used to keep  a sour dough start in my refrigerator but found I didn't make bread often enough to keep it fresh. I also discovered that we prefer bread without a strong sour dough taste. As long as I kept the start refreshed then the bread had the right taste for us. The longer it sits the more it tastes like San Fransicso sour dough bread.

Seeing this on pinterest made me decide that I might try it again. My husband loves a real crusty bread so I kept it moist during baking. You can open the oven every so often and spritz with water or you can do it the lazy way and just put a pan of water in the oven and keep it moist that way. I also placed a most towel over the loaf as it was rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment