Monday, March 1, 2010

PREPARE


We went to the art museum one Saturday with Ben and Becca. Because there was a special showing the museum was packed with people enjoying the art and floral displays. Many people brought their cameras and were taking pictures. I was not one of them. Kent and Ben had their photographers’ jackets and large camera bags stuffed with cameras and lenses. They would set up each picture with the help of Beccas expert eye. As were waited our turn for people to move a voice in the crowd said, “Stand back, the photographers are here.” I realized that they were taking about my husband and children.


What an interesting thought. Standing clear and showing respect for someone’s talent. I am feeling in awe for the Olympians right now. They should be respected for the amazing things they have accomplished. Watching the Olympics has changed for me now that my children are grown. Whenever we watched the Olympics as a family the children would get excited about what they were watching. For the ensuing year we would have gymnastics or ice skating lessons. Trips were planned to the west so they could be on a snowy mountain. Who didn’t want to be a hockey champion, snowboarder, skier, or a bobsledder? Before the 4 years came again we were distracted by other less dramatic sports and activities.


After winning the New York Marathon, Juma Ikanga said “the will to win is nothing without the will to prepare.” How many times have I thought I would like to do something but never finished because my desire to prepare was less than it should have been. I have many things I still want to do in my life. Instead of looking at what I want to accomplish I need to think of what I’m willing to put the effort into preparing.


Now that the Olympics are over I need to keep my my enthusiasm in making a difference in my own life. The will to do something must not be lost because I lack the desire to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment