Saturday, June 26, 2010

WHO AM I?

Last year Ben designed a business card for me. It’s contemporary, classy, and unique. It has the things you need on a business card, title, name, job description, address, phone, email, you know the necessary things. In one neat little card it expresses who I am and what I do. I think about identity often, especially when working with clients. Our identity is how we see ourselves. If Ben were to make the coolest business card for me that described my identity instead of a job title what would it be?

I have thought about “One Who Encourages” or maybe “I Work at Having a Good Life.” So that no one misses what I do maybe I need to add the purpose of my work. I help people move forward with their lives or I am finding ways to improve so my future is as happy and the present. The most important part of the card, the description is mine. The other part, the design is up to Ben.

If you don’t like your job description or if it's one dimensional then its time to rethink how you view yourself. There are two major attitudes that change our self-description. The first is gratitude. Being able to be grateful sifts our awareness so profoundly that it changes how we view ourselves and others. There are volumes of research that explains how your brain actually changes as you develop the characteristic of gratitude. The bottom line is, the more you find you are grateful for the more you will find to be grateful for. This new found gratitude will change your purpose and self-image.

The second attitude is being able to express gratitude to others. Expressing gratitude changes others lives and how they treat you. It creates double blessings. You receive a major benefit in how your brain is wired and how you feel about yourself. You also find people being drawn to you in positive ways because you are positive and encouraging. Not to be missed is how your expressing gratitude changes others perception of self. They are lifted and encouraged to continue doing good because you expressed gratitude.

So…….. Thank you for taking the time to read what I have written.
*A note: Ben is not used to putting the camera down so he can be photographed!

No comments:

Post a Comment