Sunday, October 10, 2010

SUNDAY DINNER

As I sit contemplating how I will fix dinner tonight the whole idea of fixing chicken seems ironic. We fix chicken in so many ways that in the end, it just doesn’t taste like chicken anymore. We sauté, fry, season, stew, and in short, do everything we can to change the taste. When my children were teenagers they complained incessantly about the amount of chicken placed before them. A chicken dinner is so easy to fix and very hard to destroy.


People must prefer chicken over other meats. If not, why would they say “it tastes just like chicken” when tasting new white meat such snake or frog legs. I even heard a chef say that a type of fish can be prepared just like a chicken because it has the texture and taste of chicken.

Chicken is also considered a poor man’s food. If you go to Tonys you’re not going to order roasted chicken. They don’t even have it on the menu. When we cruised we didn’t see chicken on the menu unless it had a name that hid its true meaning such as Coq au vin or was under the “comfort food” section. There are many restaurants whose specialty is steak or seafood. I don’t know of any who have a specialty of chicken with steak or burgers for those who don't like chicken. Somehow saying “I’m going to a chicken house” just doesn’t seem right.

So how do I fix my chicken? Do I put it in a sauce, fry, bake, broil or barbeque my chicken? Do I first marinate or put a spice rub on? Do I want to do an ethnic dish or do I leave it plain? Should I put a sauce or gravy on the table to accompany the chicken? Ah, yes, a simple Sunday dinner with the family. At least I know I can’t destroy dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment