Thursday, October 7, 2010

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

I have always wondered why people ask “where are you from?” If you live in the same town they want to know where you grew up or were born. If you are traveling they want to know where you live now. I find it interesting once people learn where you are from they immediately ask if you know “Pete, he lives on the east side.” It’s amazing to me that there actually have been times when I did know “Pete.”


So why this Henry Higgins fascination with knowing where we’re from? Maybe it’s our way of connecting to strangers. Most of us aren’t comfortable with idle chat so this connection is important. Then again it could be a real love of geography and peoples. You love hearing about people and places.

Well, for the record, I’m from Dragerton, Carbon County Utah. I spent most of my growing up years in the Salt Lake Valley, Utah (various locations). At 17 I moved to St. Louis, Missouri. That has been my home for most of my adult life. And the answer is yes to your next question. I do know H. Kent Munson.


No comments:

Post a Comment