Friday, April 29, 2011

...AND THEY LIVED...

Today I went online to buy a wedding gift for a friend’s daughter. As I looked at the invitation I noticed it was a lovely shade of sea foam green, with a matching ribbon and gray lettering. It states that the parents are thrilled with the new family being created. There is much joy and happiness as their future is planned.

As I logged off I received a call from a friend to tell me that after 15 years together his wife had filed for divorce. No one marries with the intent of getting a divorce but if happens none the less. The future looks bleak for these two friends and no one is happy. The only emotions are sorrow mixed with anger.

I have been thinking about my own marriage. Forty-three years ago I was in the position on my friend’s daughter, a young bride planning a future with my prince. I remember thinking I don’t just want to be married. I want a fairy tale life where we live happily ever after – and – you know we just might make it. So what's my secret?

Marry the right person

Love them unconditionally

Forgive them often

Be kind

And hope they do the same for you.




1 comment: