Friday, April 8, 2011

NOT QUITE WHAT THEY HAD PLANNED


The weather is changing and this is a financial boon to our local municipality. No more snow to be removed and the cruisers have been replaced by cost effective motorcycles. O’Fallon’s finest don’t quite remind me of Officers Poncherello and Baker of CHIPS fame. None the less they seem to be enjoying themselves. They are also very busy. On my short rider over to Target I noticed three cars pulled over. The tickets being written will keep my taxes from going up so it’s a win win situation.

But as I glanced at the cars I noticed the first one was an older mini van with a mother and children. I wondered if it was fair that this mother was paying my taxes. Then next car was a Nissan Pathfinder. Again this was an older car. I wondered what sacrifices’ this individual would have to make to pay their ticket. The last car was driven by a young person who probably had a minimum wage job.

Now we know that the ticket is a deterrent to speeding and very effective. It is a necessary part of our society. That said I felt bad for these three individuals who were having a very bad day.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you always look at things from all different sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tickets are very effective. Although I think police officers should give more warning tickets if the objective is all about safety.

    Appreciate the thoughts either way.
    Ben

    ReplyDelete