Tuesday, February 23, 2010

DOWNWARD COMPARISONS


If I look around and see people who are worse off than me I will actually feel better. The drizzly rain on Sunday or my stiff arthritis today is hard to complain about when I think about the mudslides in Portugal or the homeless in Haiti. In our own country there are those who are unemployed and have no hope of finding work or in poor health and there are no immediate solutions.


In the same light if I focus on those who appear to better off than me I will feel worse. I can always find some 60+ year old woman running a marathon or publishing her seventh best seller. Visiting display home to get ideas for decorating, pouring over vacation brochures, or dreaming about the perfect car will only make me feel bad if I can’t have what I want. 


For today I think I will see if there is someone worse off than me I can help or offer encouragement too.

No comments:

Post a Comment