Tuesday, February 16, 2010

SENSIBLE SHOES

As a child my family lived in poverty. I was called “the poor little Rich girl.” (My last name was Rich.) For weeks at a time we ate rice cooked in canned tomatoes. Meat was a rarity. I had one nice dress to wear. Girls in the 50’s were not allowed to wear anything but dresses so Saturday my mother washed my dress. She used an old wringer washing machine and the clothes had to be hung outside. Next was the ironing. Permanent press did not exist then. Now I was ready for the next school week.

As a child I saw a picture of Prince Charles and Princess Anne walking across a lawn. I said I would love to be a princess. My mother said it was terrible. “Look at the picture. They have to wear sensible shoes.” She was right, but I still wanted to be a princess even if it meant wearing sensible shoes.


You see the prince and princess were warm and well fed. Later I realized they had been taught from the day of their birth they were to be serving the people of Great Britain. What a wonderful heritage to give a child: food, warmth, love and a desire to serve (even if they have to wear sensible shoes).

No comments:

Post a Comment