Thursday, February 11, 2010

WHERE WERE YOU?


There are so many events in our life that make us cohorts. We have shared thoughts, experiences, and feelings. As I taught a group of 12 and 13 year-olds I talked about 9-11. The students didn’t understand what I was talking about. You see they hadn’t studied it in history yet. As I get older my cohorts are getting fewer. It is enjoyable to be with a cohort and ask “where were you…?” Unfortunately current events are shaping the world our children will inherit. Gone are the protest songs of Bob Dylan, Joan Biaz, Peter, Paul and Mary and others. We are willing to give up our freedom every time someone does something stupid. Where were you when a man tried to ignite an explosive in his shoes on an international flight? And was that one incident really worthy of millions of people removing their shoes to go through security? Our children will never truly understand the past freedoms we enjoyed in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment