Wednesday, November 10, 2010

NOT SO ORDINARY

I think it's interesting that the normal, ordinary people in our lives are often forgotten and those we are most shocked by are the very people who make our memories come alive. One such person was Virginia. She was a lady about my age. She lived in a trailer court with her 5 cats 2 kittens, one very large dog and lots of mice she was always trying to get rid of. A fox pelt hung on a wall as well as assorted faded pictures. Couches, crowed into the room were covered with numerous throws and sheets. The room had the original paneling and carpet. Nothing had changed in the trailer since it was built some 45 years earlier. Virginia considered herself lucky to have a home.

Virginia was very tall, smoked cigars and spoke with a rather deep, raspy voice. She had worked as a tattoo artist. She showed me some of her tattoo, all drawn by her.

Virginia was a religious person. She would attend church taking the sacrament or communion whenever she went. One day a pious individual told her she was not to take communion since she wasn’t a member of their church. Virginia told him he would probably kick Jesus out too since he wasn’t a member of their church either. She then proceeded to take communion.

Virginia belonged to my church even though she hadn’t been to church since she was a teenager. I visited Virginia and tried to be a concerned individual. She said didn’t trust me. I was just there to show everyone how righteous I was. I told her that I would not report to my church that I was visiting her. True to my word I didn't. That helped. Then she said if I really wanted to show her that I was serious about caring for her I had to do something hard. She chose eating sushi. That was hard. I swore I would never eat sushi, but I did for Virginia.

Now if you don’t believe in prayer I want you to know I do. I prayed harder than I had ever prayed. The day we were to meet arrived and I drove us to a sushi place. Virginia ordered some things for us I had never heard of. I ate everything she ordered and loved it. Angels were looking after me that day.

Virginia is no longer alive. I miss her. She was an individual that changed my life. I know we were great friends. Christmas Eve will be here soon and as my family sits down to eat we will all sample the sushi dish in honor of Virginia. I sure do miss that friend of mine.

2 comments:

  1. Well, her effect was far-reaching. It's because of her, then, that I came to love sushi. Interesting how that happens. ~Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would love Virginia. You are lucky to have known her!

    ReplyDelete