Friday, February 18, 2011

NEEDS VS. WANTS

It’s our children’s fault. They got us watching American Idol and now they are too busy to watch it with us. We aren’t too busy just too impatient to sit through endless commercials just to watch a program. Our DVD catches the show and we join in mid-program.

Last night’s Idol had a lot of drama and not much music. As boredom set in I found myself timing how much actual Idol we watched and how much commercial time I was fast forwarding. There would be 5 minutes of show and 5 minutes of commercial. Next it would be 3 minutes of show and 4 minutes of commercial. It is truly amazing how much advertizing we subject ourselves to in order to be entertained.

The sad thing is we are very much influenced by these flashes of light across our TV screens known as subliminal messages. Although true subliminal messages are banned some of the most creative people have found their way around the laws to help us become a debt ridden nation. We see very little difference between needs and wants.

I thought about the purchases I have been making. Maybe I was more careful because I wanted to make sure I didn’t accuse myself of being a person who purchased because of advertisers but unfortunately I found myself guilty. In spite of all my fast forwarding I have trouble differentiating between needs and wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment