Thursday, March 31, 2011

COLOR

Life is interesting. When we have difficulties there are thing we do to make sense of our world. Everyone has their own coping skills depending on what they learned as a child. For many people food is a way of handling problems, especially if it involves chocolate. Other people turn to people. I think this is why the social media is so important today. Getting physical is a coping skill. Working out, driving a Harley around town, yelling and cursing, holding someone or something can bring comfort. I see and hear friends using humor and laughter when faced with a trial. Another way of dealing with problems is to turn to your religious beliefs. Prayer, scriptures, talking to those with life faith can be very healing.


I have to admit to using all the above coping skills but I think my favorite way of facing adversity is color. Jeanette and I have talked about the need for color when we are having real problems. Walking into a fabric store and touching bolt after bolt of colorful fabric is healing. Recently I visited my favorite art store close to the university and spent time looking at their colored pencils. Using the pad of paper aptly placed I colored with many of the hundreds of pencils. Choosing my favorite 5 I left the store feeling so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment