Sunday, March 13, 2011

MY HAPPINESS

I remember a college professor saying we had no control over our happiness. As students argued with him he maintained he was right. His argument was if you were in a natural disaster today then you would have unhappiness and you could not control when you would be happy again. While he was telling a truth it was only a half truth. I am affected by the sorrow and devastation in Japan and throughout the world but I can’t let the knowledge of others suffering or a future unknown keep me from being happy.

Ann Morrow Lindbergh said I can’t reach out and help all those that my heart reaches out too. (Sorry for butchering the actual quote.) As I did my taxes I noticed a donation to the American Red Cross. Last years catastrophic events are past and we don’t remember them because the events of this year seem to make last years events pale in comparison. My mind cannot comprehend the devastation in Japan but my heart and prayers can reach out.

I also can find happiness today. I can make this part of the world a better place because I have lived today. I can be a little kinder. Make a personal sacrifice so that I can donate more to the Red Cross or other charity that will be helping those who cannot be happy because of this terrible natural disaster. My happiness can not be robbed by man or nature. As long as I can reach out to others I can find a measure of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment