Monday, March 28, 2011

“Without love, we are birds with broken wings.”

I have been rereading a family favorite book, Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. Morrie is so profound that you can read one paragraph at a time and feel the need to ponder what you have just read. There are not many books that leave you a better person for having read. I guess this is why it is so loved by me.


As I get older pondering becomes much more important. So it was with Morrie. He talked about his family: “The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn’t the family… If you don’t have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from family, you don’t have much at all. Love is so supremely important.”


Kent’s trip was canceled this weekend because of a late March snowstorm. I think we cherished being together over the weekend because it wasn’t supposed to happen. We talked and shared more than usual. How wonderful to look back over the 42+ years of marriage and realize that it is getting better with each passing year.


As I played with 2 of my grandchildren yesterday I pondered my relationship with each of my grandchildren (grandpuppy) my children(spouses are all ways considered my children). Was it what I wanted it to be? Had I done enough over the years to feel that I deserved the love my family gives to me? What did I need to do to maintain that love and continue to have it grow? I know I can never be all that I want if I don’t have the love of my family. I am so grateful for each of them and I guess I need to tell them more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment