Saturday, December 4, 2010

HONOR

We always hear that we should Honor our Parents but what does it means to honor parents. It began centuries ago with the Ten Commandments. When people talk about honoring parents I am amazed at all the opinions. Most of the thoughts are fine but some of them can actually be damaging. One day while trying to reconcile myself with honoring parents I came across a quote by David O. McKay. To paraphrase this great man: honoring our parents means we take the best of what they are and reject everything else.

I have thought about this quote and laughed. How many times do we parents say we don’t want our children to have any of our bad habits? When they do imitate our failings it’s so irritating. Those very habits that we have spent years trying to overcome they embrace. No, that is not how they should honor me. I want them to love the things that I love and want to do that I value.

I value:
Kindness
Civility
Creativity
Family
Children
Friends
Education
Service
Laughter
Trust
Forgiveness
Fun
Good books
Not Judging
but mostly I value my relationship with my Savior, Jesus Christ

You will notice I have not listed my faults. I know there are those out there who will be happy to remind me of them should I ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment