Monday, December 20, 2010

NOT SO CHRISTMASSY

I have enjoyed blogging but like all bloggers there comes a time when there isn’t a lot to blog about. We’ve had ice storms and bone chilling temperatures for the past week but you could read about that in the news. My month continues with more get togethers with friends, a grandchild’s first dance recital, art projects, baking traditional breads, friends visiting, visiting friends, etc. Sunday, many members of our congregation performed a program that took enormous amounts of time to perfect. Pure delight! So far I have been experiencing all the usual activities that mean a lot to me but not so much to you the reader.

I guess what is on my mind today is in the torrential rain in Central America. So often I read about things occurring in distant parts of our globe and don’t feel anything. I’m sure it’s because we experience so much war and suffering daily via the media that it becomes necessary to block our feelings to keep from having sensory overload. Once I have visited a country and spent time with the people that all changes. I can see the faces of the people and know how their lives have changed because of the alteration inflicted upon them.  In January we will be going to visit Panama and go through the canal. This is something Kent has wanted to do and I love locks so it is a win win vacation. The only problem is the rain. There have been mudslides that have and continue to annihilate villages and wipe out homes. One of the two major bridges that connect North and South America has been destroyed because of the rain. The people of Central America are suffering.

Last evening our family checked the weather to see what the long range forecast would be for Panama. They are still having rain and more predicted. I don’t worry about rain ruining my vacation. I am concerned about my visiting a country that is suffering. I can’t be an Ugly American that is arrogant and uncaring. How do I help the people while I visit their beautiful country? This is a thought for me to contemplate during this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment