Monday, September 27, 2010

BRINGING THE OUTDOORS IN

My Korean sister-in-law came to live with me for three months back in the 1970’s. She taught me more about Korea than I could have learned studying the history for years. I loved the foods she prepared and even learned how to prepare some of them.

My sister-in-law didn’t understand me. She said if I lived in Korea I would have a nanny, house keeper and cook. My time would be spent getting my fingernails done (in the 1970’s that was unheard of) and tending to my houseplants.

I have only had one successful attempt at having an indoor plant survive. This was a cactus that thrived on benign neglect. Every 6 weeks I would flood the cactus garden and then poor off the excess. Two months ago I decided it was time to try again. I got a plant at the grocery store. The girl in the floral department helped me look through books trying to figure out what kind of plant it was. We never did figure out.

I planted my green leafy friend in a large pot in my bedroom. I placed special halogen bulbs in the pot so it would get enough light in the dark corner reserved for this new little ray of sunshine. So far the plant has done well. I have had to adjust how much I watered and how many hours we had the lights on. But all in all I like what is happening.

I have stopped feeling panic every time a leaf falls to the ground or there is a yellow leaf. I have to remind myself this is a learning experience. I didn’t buy an exotic plant just a plant that was easy for beginners to have success with. Maybe next year I will be ready to put a plant in the main part of the house for others to see.

1 comment:

  1. I noticed it yesterday and the leaves that surrounded the vase, hopeful that all was well with the plant. Knowing, for us, how hard it is to keep a plant alive, I look at that thing as hope out there that even non-green-thumbs can be successful with plant life. When it comes to raising plants, Andrea's the one in the fam with the touch. The rest of us? Yeah, not so much. Good luck; you're giving us all a little more hope. :)

    ReplyDelete