Thursday, September 2, 2010

MY NEW HOBBY

Kent and I were having a discussion recently. He said that the car he bought last year would be the last car we would probably ever buy. When we retired we would need to live much more frugally. So I’m going to do my part. I have taken up a new hobby, cooking. Cooking is not something I have put a lot of time into in the past. I did what was necessary because we needed to eat but I have to admit my cooking was flavorless and not something to remember unless it was at 2:00 a.m. and you felt indigestion. Eating out has become something we have started to do more often than not. I don’t need to review the advantages of eating out but I probably should mention the disadvantages. There is a lot of sodium (salt) and fat in foods prepared in restaurants and fast food establishments . The portions are much larger than they should be. The conversation isn’t always good because you are surrounded by strangers. Now I feel better getting that off my chest.

My new cooking hobby will make it so we eat out less, food is more flavorful and healthy, and we can cook together once we are retired. Now my new hobby needs tools and an organized kitchen to store all those tools I will need. My stove is a builder’s grade 12 year-old-stove that cooks on high or low. There is no ability to regulate the temperature. The oven doesn’t like to be told what temperature to be either. It far prefers to keep you guessing. I need a new refrigerator because….. well because I can’t be expected to cook with an old refrigerator. I don’t even have an icemaker or cold water dispenser. I also need new counter tops and a back splash. We will need to paint, put up window treatments so I enjoy my time in the kitchen more. I will need pots and pans, an outdoor grill, dishes, and table linens. I’m beginning to feel a little overwhelmed with my new idea of a hobby.

At times like this it is good to go to lunch with a friend. We can discuss this at Mimi’s over a salad and muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment