Friday, September 3, 2010

THIS WAY OR THAT

I remember when we were first married gas was 25 cents a gallon and we could get all the way from Salt Lake City to St. Louis for 10 dollars. I remember paying 10 cents for a Saturday matinee movie and 3 cents for candy. I remember living on my $86 paycheck. So the list goes on. As we get older we have a tendency to do a lot of remembering the old days. Remembering is fine but I think it reminds you how quickly time has move on. It’s like walking into a home that is decorated in truly primitive décor. It is fascinating to look at all the things that have been preserved and collected from the past. You can look with fascination for a long time but in the long run it isn’t very comfortable.

I don’t want to go back to driving a little Volkswagen bug and not having a microwave. I look forward to being part of the iPod generation. Being able to get to and see the world in hours instead of weeks. I love the internet and the ability to research any topic instantaneously. I miss getting letters but love email and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I have come to think that getting old doesn’t mean always looking back. Looking forward to exciting times is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment